Monday, April 4, 2016

Well.
Time is speeding away. This time next week I will be ensconced in a cold desk chair, using my limited Spanish vocab to try to get to the heart of someone's life story.
Clinic time is my favorite.
I love being able to sit down with someone, and figure out where a medical problem is stemming from, so that we can send them home with a plan to stay healthy!
The language barrier intimidates me a little. Grammar is not my strong suit.
I guess that is what Spanish/English dictionaries are for.
(shout out to my lovely Spanish teacher Tonika who has worked very hard with me this past year! Thank you!)
I am getting very excited about this opportunity! I've been re-playing in my head all the people I met last time, and the opportunities we had to spread Jesus in a place filled with witchcraft and animism.
I am so thankful for the many prayer warriors who have been drenching this trip in prayer already, and have committed to continually pray for me. I definitely would not have the courage to leave my country without you.
For those of you who don't know much about the religious life of Guatemala, here are some pictures that show the mixture of Christianity and Witchcraft that is religion.
Here is a circle to ward off bad spirits, right on the lawn of a big catholic church.

Right inside the church are plaques that are dedicated to the Mayan god Chixim, thanking him for healing.

This looks like Jesus right?
Actually, it is the Mayan corn god, on the cross. The people reach in and touch him to transfer power to themselves.

I hope and pray that I can in Christ, with my limited vocabulary, speak truth in the midst of such a mixing of religion. May God be present.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much! You will have the power of the Holy Spirit to give you the words you need, the creative solutions you need, the wisdom you need, and the power to heal and give life.

    ReplyDelete