
We have a Lovely dental team here this week, and man! They are desperately needed here.
I've watched the Dentist pull so many teeth that I could probably do it myself. We've done a few fillings, but most of the teeth we see are so broken, they are at the gum line or have abscesses that need to heal. Some of the teeth are so bad that we have to put the patient on antibiotics, and ask them to come back at the end of the week.
Our patients are mostly kids who don't have their adult teeth yet. But they usually don't have many healthy teeth left.
Dental health is an extremely important component to helping the kids here to do well in school, and just have better health in general. The schools are starting to implement a tooth brushing campaign so that they can help the kids develop good habits. In the school that they started the campaign, they have already seen better school attendance, and better health.
It has been a busy week, lots of getting to know people, and lots of parties in the evening. It's nice having a team here because we keep them entertained, so we have to do fun things.
Tomorrow will be interesting. I get to go to the Olympics!
Just kidding. Not the real Olympics.
The schools are competing in soccer, so I get to play First Aid, and bring my ice packs and bandaids.
Til tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment