Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sabbath

My thoughts are on the people in Ecuador right now. That earthquake brought major damage and huge loss of life. God bless those who don't have housing, and have lost loved ones. Tim felt a tremor that day, although I don't know if it was the same as the 7.8 that hit Ecuador. That loss of life is horrible. 
May God be seen in the midst of it. 
USA Today - Earthquake in Ecuador




Exodus 20:11
"For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."


Sometimes it is hard to rest on the Sabbath day. You are so busy during the week, and then on the weekend you have all the time to do the things you didn't have time for earlier. 
The body needs rest. 
God rested on the 7th day. Sometimes in the middle of my weekend I think to myself, "I can't take a Sabbath, I have such and such to do." 
Is it a Sabbath if you "rest" by doing?
I don't know. 
I think for some people, doing things like cleaning the house, or doing outside chores can be a form of rest. I think where we tend to mess up (mea culpa) is making the chores more important than sitting down for an extra hour with God. Maybe your extra hour with God (or day, which is what He means) is hiking mountains, or going shopping. What are we doing to honor God on His Holy day?

Just a thought for the weekend.

I really needed the Sabbath this week. Les and Rita Peters invited us over for lunch yesterday at their house. The Peters are the Canadian missionaries who started Impact Ministries in 2001. They are the sweetest couple, and it's a joy to be included in their little family. 
The Peters live on a large property owned by the Ministry. This property is slowly growing to include: A state-of-the-art greenhouse that is self-sustaining; A dormitory for visiting missionaries; A seminary with a large church; acres and acres of agricultural land; and last but not least the beginnings of an orphanage. 
Work continues on the orphanage

View of one third of the fields
The Baby House spied through the trees


Lunch was delightful, and it was so nice to be able to speak English!! 
I am so thankful for that. 
Today was a grocery and church day. Their church here is called Rio de Vida - River of Life, and it was packed to the gills. They all dance and jump up and down, and praise the Lord with their all. It is so beautiful!
Rio de Vida Iglesia

Well as you go forward this week, remember God is present, and I hope He gives you a Sabbath, and a wonderful semana!


No comments:

Post a Comment