Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Having to adjust with a vengence

Yesterday was a series of firsts for me.
First time I had to ask for something in a pharmacy by myself. First time I wandered around Tactic by myself (and didn't get lost thank you God!), And the first time I held (not with my bare hands) a newborn kitten that still had its umbilical cord.
So I got sick. Yep. First day I was supposed to be at the clinic.
Nothing to do with the cat, it was probably something I ate. (TMI sorry). Anyway yesterday was miserable.
Day before that I was walking with my hosts to see the office, and low and behold one of the Ministry ladies Flor had found a tiny baby kitten that had no mother around. She brought the cat to the office, hoping that the baby would be taken care of by a very pregnant cat that is due to give birth any day. Needless to say, the momma completely ignored it. Of course Flor was very excited about my being a nurse (because that translates into me knowing what to do with a baby cat), and so I ended up researching kitten formula, and how to deliver it.
One baby turned into two last night as Flor found another one. At the moment Candy (my host momma) and I are taking turns taking care of them. They aren't doing too well though.

Anyway, I was feeling a lot better today so I got to go to the clinic for the first time. Sorry I don't have any pictures of today. It was pretty slow, only two patients (one with a ruptured ear drum, ouch!). So we filled the time with inputting previous team's data into the computer. 

I had a good day. It is amazingly hot here. I definitely got sunburned the other day because I wasn't paying attention. The altitude also makes me feel out of shape. 

So if anyone has good ideas about what to do with sunburn when there is no aloe vera, please let me know!
Also, anyone know how to help baby kittens survive?

I will leave you with a psalm that really fits this place. I am surrounded by mountains, and am constantly in awe of the One who made them.
Psalm 24
"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. The world and those who dwell therein. For he has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers. Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? anf who shall stand in his holy place? He who has a clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully. He will receive blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Life up your heads, O gates! Be lifted up , O ancient doors, that the King of Glory may come in. Who is this King of Glory? The Lord, strong and mighty, the Lord, mighty in battle! Lift up your heads O gates! And lift them up, O ancient doors, that the King of Glory may come in. Who is this King of Glory? The Lord of Hosts, He is the King of Glory!"


2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have access to any of the items in this article or not. Hopefully it can help. http://hubpages.com/health/11-natural-home-remedies-for-sunburn
    Also, with the kittens, they need to be warm and also won't go to the bathroom without being stimulated after each feeding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any aloe Vera plants around? We had them in St. Croix. You can cut them open and apply the goo straight on the burn. hope your sunburn heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete